Painting – Collage – Design
Start with the Idea and Photos for Your Collage Painting
- To paint an arrangement of flowers in similar colors into a bouquet collage composition.
- This is really a “collage” even though I’m not gluing/pasting .
- I am assembling different forms into a collage painting.
- Start with inspiration photos, which I use for reference to do the painting
A Simple Plan for Your Collage
- Create a design idea -composition drawing of the shapes that I want to use.
- Paint images into that design idea layout
Composition – The Design Idea Drawing
- The process I used here was to draw circles of varying sizes.
- I did about ten of these little design drawings
- I decided to use this plan of 6 shapes
- I still have the other nine plans to explore with future paintings.
Inspiration Photos to Paint into the Collage of Shapes
The Painting Process
I painted the focal point flower #1 (the star) larger than the plan
I pushed #2 back further and really subdued its value
I needed a bud somewhere so chose the upper left corner and lower left corner (with another flower)
#4 became my next star (the supporting actor) of the collage
Without the design plan – the composition idea for the painting, and a ton of inspiration photos I would have been lost doing the collage.
So, there it is. How I do it.
I hope you’ve enjoyed moving through the design process of creating a collage. Painting is fun when you plan it and… the plan works.
Let me hear your thoughts.
Your comments are really appreciated.
Join Me in the Studio
Are You Visiting Palm Springs Soon?
What to do on the weekend in the Palm Springs area?
Meet me at the College of the Desert Street Fair.
I’m in booth #75, every Saturday and Sunday, October – May.
Personal Studio Tour
Call ahead for an appointment to have your tour of my studio and gallery in Palm Springs. 760.831.1190. I love spending time with people who are interested in art, painting and meeting the artist. Recent visitors from Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, New York, Boston, and Vancouver BC have all enjoyed their art studio visits.
If your vacation brings you to Palm Desert Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, Indio, Desert Hot Springs, Banning, Yucca Valley, East Hemet, Coachella, San Jacinto, Hemet, Beaumont, Yucaipa, Twentynine Palms, or any other close by city, then definitely drop by when you are in the area.